Multipurpose themes are some of the best-selling WordPress themes available. Considering they allow users to build almost any type of website with relative ease, include extensive feature lists and offer a huge range of built-in powerful tools, it’s hardly surprising they’re so popular.
But what’s available in this category, and which are the best sellers? What are their relative strengths? To help you to find the right one for you, I’ve looked at sales figures, reputation, and feature and usage, and rounded up the 15 best multipurpose WordPress themes on the market.
Let’s get started…
Divi is the flagship product from Elegant Themes. It’s one of the most popular multipurpose WordPress themes — and for good reason. Not only is it packed with hundreds of prebuilt website demos and individual page layouts for every type of project, it also includes one of the most powerful and user-friendly point-and-click page builder tools around: The Divi Builder (reviewed).
Creating a custom WordPress website has never been easier with the new-and-improved Divi Builder. Through the intuitive front-end drag-and-drop page builder interface, almost anyone should be able to craft the perfect website for their project (although the prebuilt layouts also provide great ready-made options).
Other highlights of Divi include:
- a library of more than a hundred varied website demos and over 800 page designs
- more than 40 website elements for enhancing pages
- the Divi Leads split testing tool
- countless customization settings
- the ability to import and export layouts between sites.
Divi is an all-in-one package that should help you to build any website with WordPress. It may not have as many complete website demos as some of the competition, but new layouts are regularly shared on the Elegant Themes blog.
(To see just what this theme is capable of, check out an earlier post of ours: 75+ Stunning Examples of Elegant Themes’ Divi WordPress Theme in Action.)
Avada (reviewed) is billed as the number one selling theme of all time, and, with more than 702,000 sales so far at the ThemeForest marketplace (read our handy guide to buying themes on ThemeForest), it’s hard to disagree.
Now on version seven, Avada has been fully updated with many new features and improvements. New website demos have been added, the page builder has been upgraded, and advanced controls for creating mobile-friendly sites are now available.
Other highlights of Avada include:
- eighty-three complete website demos
- a large selection of individual page templates and layouts
- the custom-built Fusion Builder drag-and-drop page editor
- the ability to create custom shareable layouts
- a highly detailed theme options control panel.
With website demos covering a range of projects and a drag-and-drop page builder tool, Avada covers all of the bases when it comes to building a professional website with WordPress.
X Theme (reviewed) is another best-selling multipurpose theme available from ThemeForest. Thanks to its combination of website demos and customization tools, this theme really can be used for any project.
The custom-built and third-party plugins and tools included with X Theme are hard to beat. With everything from sliders and galleries to a page builder and lead generation tools, you probably won’t need to buy any new plugins for a while.
Other highlights of X Theme include:
- the bespoke Cornerstone front-end page builder
- a varied selection of website demos
- a powerful suite of extensions
- detailed customization settings
- full eCommerce support.
As well as being able to edit the templates with the bespoke Cornerstone page builder, you can also use the Visual Composer plugin (included) to customize your site if you’d prefer.
(Also of interest: 25+ Stunning Examples of Themeco’s Top-Selling WordPress X Theme in Action.)
The paid version of GeneratePress includes a library of more than 70 website demos, an integrated Theme Builder for customizing all parts of your website and a collection of pro modules for adding extra features to your site.
When building your site with GeneratePress you can use either the Beaver Builder or Elementor plugin to customize your content. For extra creative freedom, you can also apply lots of site-wide changes via the theme options control panel.
Other highlights of GeneratePress include:
- a library of custom elements and blocks for the WordPress editor
- display rules for changing website layouts based on certain conditions
- WooCommerce support and customization options for online stores
- a strong focus on optimization for fast loading times
- the ability to create a separate custom header for mobile users.
The library of prebuilt template packages is sure to save you time when setting up a new website with GeneratePress.
Enfold (reviewed) includes demos for business websites, creative portfolios, online shops, landing pages and a range of blogging options to name just a few. New demos and features are added on a regular basis.
The Enfold page builder will help you to customize the demo content, while the theme options make it easy to personalize the global settings for your site.
Other highlights of Enfold include:
- slider tools and demo slideshow content
- a form builder tool
- an advanced admin panel
- narrated video tutorials
- full eCommerce support.
If Enfold doesn’t have a demo that matches your vision, you shouldn’t find it difficult to create your own custom website with this multipurpose theme.
(Also of interest: 50+ Stunning Examples of Enfold — Kriesi’s Top-Selling WordPress Theme — in Action.)
With more than 550 complete website demos, you really can use Bridge (reviewed) to create almost any type of site. Each demo comes with its own set of inner page templates (not just a homepage layout).
Although the Bridge demos are varied, most options fall into the business, portfolio, blogging and eCommerce categories.
Other highlights of Bridge include:
- templates that can be edited with the Elementor and WPBakery Page Builder plugins (included)
- detailed theme customization settings
- the ability to create unlimited header and menu layouts
- a library of shortcode elements
- a selection of plugins.
Whether you’re creating a website for yourself or for your clients, having more than 550 demos to choose from provides you with plenty of options.
(Also of interest: 50+ Stunning Examples of Bridge — QODE’s Top-Selling WordPress Theme — in Action)
As well as the 47 website demos, Total has been built around the powerful WPBakery Page Builder tool, which is included at no extra cost.
Other highlights of Total include:
- a library of builder blocks for upgrading your content
- far-reaching theme customizer settings
- multiple content layouts and templates
- powerful slideshow builder tools
- full eCommerce support.
If the varied selection of website demos isn’t enough, the front-end page builder makes it possible to give your WordPress website a custom look.
(Also of interest: 25+ Live Examples of Total — WPExplorer’s Top-Selling WordPress Theme — in Action.)
One aspect of Astra that helps to separate it from most of the competition is its templates can be edited with multiple page builder plugins. Beaver Builder, Brizy and Elementor are the supported tools, but you can also edit some of the templates using the default WordPress editor.
Other highlights of Astra include:
- a small file size for fast loading times
- a library of editable templates for almost every type of website
- the ability to create custom headers and footers, including unique headers for mobile users
- good WooCommerce support and lots of eCommerce-focused features
- video tutorials to help you to get the most out of the theme.
If you’re creating sites for clients, the white label feature lets you remove all of the Astra branding and replace it with your own.
(Also of interest: 30+ Stunning Examples of the Astra WordPress Theme in Action)
WP Zoom created the multipurpose Presence theme to help you to build any type of website with WordPress. With 15 demos to choose from, as well as a full suite of customization tools and options, Presence has a lot to offer.
Real estate, portfolio, hotel, music, agency and fitness are just some of the types of websites the Presence demos will help you to quickly create.
Other highlights of Presence include:
- a slideshow builder tool
- pre-defined layouts and color schemes
- a full set of website customization controls
- IDX support for creating real estate websites
- full eCommerce support.
If your needs aren’t covered by the demos, then the Presence drag-and-drop page builder can help you to produce a bespoke site.
Although Ultra includes a number of pre-made demos, the Themify Builder and a large selection of pre-designed layouts are the main attractions.
Other highlights of Ultra include:
- multiple header, footer, and content layouts and styles
- a selection of Themify Builder add-ons
- special effects, including animations, gradients and overlays
- a Mega Menu builder
- portfolio templates and layouts.
Ultra should be a good choice for anyone who wants to use a powerful page builder and a selection of pre-made layouts to create their own custom website.
Salient boasts a large selection of shortcodes and configuration options that give you the ability to design a custom website filled with enhanced content upgrades.
The Salient shortcodes make it easy to insert a wide range of elements into your content, including buttons, icons, testimonials, client logo carousels, and more. You can also import one of the 30 complete website demos to speed up the design process.
Other highlights of Salient include:
- more than 350 editable content sections that can be mixed and matched
- a library of header and footer layouts
- a customized version of WPBakery Page Builder for editing your site
- templates for creating blogs, portfolios and online stores
- fully customizable typography and color settings.
As well as the flexible general-purpose demo, Salient includes a number of demos for more specific types of projects.
Jupiter earns its multipurpose credentials by including more than 450 templates that are suitable for a wide range of projects.
The main Jupiter demo is neutral, and it could easily be customized for a variety of purposes. However, if you need a more focused design, Jupiter has plenty of options to choose from.
Other highlights of Jupiter include:
- templates that can be edited with the drag-and-drop Elementor page builder plugin
- custom header styles and layouts
- a library of elements to upgrade your content
- flexible portfolio templates and layouts
- full eCommerce support.
Importing the Jupiter demo content only takes a few clicks, leaving you to decide how much customization work to carry out.
(Also of interest: 35+ Stunning Examples of the Jupiter WordPress Theme in Action)
Business, agency, freelancer, restaurant, eCommerce and portfolio websites are just some of the demos covered by The7.
If you’re new to WordPress or short on time, the quick-setup wizard will help you to get your new site online as quickly as possible.
Other highlights of The7 include:
- templates can be edited with the Elementor and WPBakery Page Builder (included) plugins
- includes premium slider plugins with prebuilt slideshows
- multiple portfolio and showcase templates
- lightbox and photo scroller gallery tools
- full eCommerce support.
Whether you’re looking for an off-the-shelf solution or the ability to create your own custom built site, The7 should provide you with everything you need.
Alongside the large library of templates, OceanWP also comes with lots of interesting features. Some examples include the modal window that lets you put any content you like in a pop-up window, optional sticky headers and footers, and the ability to create as many custom sidebars as you need.
Other highlights of OceanWP include:
- a library of additional widgets for the Elementor page builder plugin
- hooks for inserting custom content into different parts of your site
- lots of eCommerce features for enhancing online stores
- device-based settings that control the visibility of page elements
- white label support for replacing the OceanWP branding with your own.
OceanWP uses an extension system to help to keep the size of your site to a minimum and avoid slowing it down with unused features.
TheGem has more than 110 website demos that consist of over 400 individual editable templates to help to kick-start your project.
This multipurpose theme makes it just as easy to choose one of the off-the-shelf demos as it does to create your own custom design by mixing and matching the individual prebuilt page templates.
Other highlights of TheGem include:
- support for both the Elementor and WPBakery Page Builder plugins (included)
- two premium slideshow builder plugins
- multiple prebuilt website styles
- a selection of page elements
- a wide range of theme customization settings and controls.
TheGem is equally suited to those seeking a prebuilt website solution or a fully customizable theme.
With so many great options, you might, at this point, be feeling a little overwhelmed. If in doubt, think about your needs, what each theme has to offer, and how closely these two things match for each theme you’re considering.